Meet Coolbean the Soybean! He’s a super bean, but he has something very important in common with kids everywhere. He needs the support and knowledge of his family and friends—including an awesome farmer and some smart scientists—to grow up.
• Find out how Coolbean became so special with the help of scientists. Learn how to think like a scientist too!
• Meet Haila, a science-smart, sustainable farmer, and learn about ways to farm that help the environment.
• Learn how plants make their own food through photosynthesis, and what on earth are rhizobia!
• Watch how Aliah, the agronomist, keeps Coolbean safe from his scary enemies.
• Follow Coolbean’s life cycle, from being planted in a cozy bed of healthy soil, to developing flowers and pods, to a happy harvest.
• See why soybeans are special beans all over the world, feeding billions of people and used for making many other products, from crayons to cars!
...all in alignment with common core standards for reading and science.
Aimed at Grades 3–5, but lovable by all ages.
Shawn Conley, with Judy Mannes and Marsha Rehns. 2013. ASA, CSSA, and SSSA. Item: B40811. Published with generous support from the Wisconsin Soybean Marketing Board.
Volume discounts are available for purchases of 15-99 and 100+ copies. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
View an Excerpt (PDF).